Iqinews – Fonts on WhatsApp can be changed to several formats by the user. For example, changing the font format to bold, italic, strikethrough, monospace or other font formats.
There are two ways you can do to change the format of your writing on Whatsapp. The first is to enter some code that surrounds the word or sentence you want to change the format. The second is to use the “hidden” shortcut on WhatsApp.
Here’s how to change the text format on WhatsApp.
1. How to change letters on WhatsApp with a code
As previously mentioned, users can enter several special codes to change the font format on WhatsApp. Each format has its own code that must be remembered. Here’s the code and how.
How to make italics in WA
The way to make WA italic is to use a code or an underscore sign (_) that surrounds the desired text. An example is _good_
How to make bold letters in WA
The way to make WA letters bold is to use an asterisk (*) in front of and behind the desired text. An example is *today*.
How to make strikethorugh in WA
How to make the letters WA crossed out, you can use the underscore tilde sign (~) in front of and behind the desired word or sentence. For example ~happy today~.
How to make monospace writing in WA
The way to make monospaced writing in WA is to put three backticks (”’) in front of and behind the desired text. An example would be ”’have a nice sunny day”’.
The four codes or signs above can be used in all versions of WhatsApp, both on smartphones, the web version of WA, and the desktop version of WA.
Apart from using the code or sign as above, how to make italic, strikethrough, bold and monospace writing on WhatsApp can also be done using the shortcuts available on WhatsApp.
The second way is easier, because the user doesn’t have to memorize the code for each format.
2. How to change letters on WhatsApp without a code
To change WhatsApp text to bold, italic, strikethrough and monospace, users can simply click the “hidden” button as follows, as compiled by iqinews from the WhatsApp FAQ page.
- First, open the WhatsApp application and open a chat column.
- Next, type the text you want to convert into the custom format.
- When you have typed it, block the part of the word or sentence you want to change to bold, italic, strikethrough or monospace. To block it, just touch and hold on the desired word or sentence.
- Then, a pop-up menu will appear at the top.
- Bold, italic, strikethrough, or monospace options will appear. Just click which format you want.
- The format of the word or sentence will change according to the selected option.
It should be noted that the method above may not always work on all cellphones. In this tutorial, iqinews uses the Samsung Galaxy A71 and Galaxy Note 9 devices that run the Android 10 and One UI 2.5 operating systems.
If the shortcut key option for changing the WhatsApp font format is not yet available, users can use the first method, which is to insert a special code for each format.